Sunday, March 2, 2008

And Twitter and Ning and Skype and...

Having just returned from a heavily tech centered week, I am feeling both overwhelmed, scared and excited with all that I have learned. Of course, what I really learned is all that I don't know. It boggles my mind what is available out there. I am SO aware that our students know so much more than we do in terms of technology. Most importantly, I worry that too many teachers, in an underpaid and overworked vocation, either can't or won't read the writing on the wall that is a call to change the way we do things.
As a result of earlier experiences, I have read both The World is Flat and A Whole New Mind and had a major epiphany. my first recommendation to anyone who either doubts life is/will be that different or those who need to validate suspicions that the world is changing quickly, should read these books and then just dive in!
This is the first blog in my own plan to "dive in". At the ICE conference, Vicki Davis challenged participants to list 3 things that they wanted to try. I know that i have heard from two other people that this challenged changed the way they did things. i am ready to try to take that challenge too.
There are so many things to check out, I hope to record my thought,observations and ideas here so that i can involve the reflective process in all this learning. I am SO much a digital immigrant in this digital world.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Great idea to do a blog, Nancy. I appreciate what you're saying about kids knowing so much. But, there is so much that they don't know that they should. For example, the whole "Grammar of the Internet" (Alan November)is so key when doing real research. Yet, I think many of the kids (and many adults) are functionally illiterate in terms of this concept.