Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Funding summer?


Well, every year we find out about title funds being available for one thing or the other through our relationship with CPS. The last 2 years I have travelled to the November Learning Conference in Boston. In my opinion, this is a great conference that has it right. In addition to a variety of international experts, social networking is key. What I love is that it is not so much electronic, but face to face. Lunch served in a banquet hall to tables of 8, parties in the evening, outings into town or to a concert. Real live human interaction that encourages conversations about learning more than technology,engaging versus teaching. All of it, good stuff.

This year, we are hoping to send a couple of other faculty members, but the school's push to have people get master degrees is really working against us in many ways. Many teachers are too busy with classes, papers and projects in addition to ( sometimes at the expense of) their regular classroom preparations. This same thinking extends into thinking about the summer. Either people are taking classes or burnt out from trying to teach, go to school, and for some, teach after school classes for extra income. Others have to pick up summer employment to help pay the bills, while others just want to enjoy the break.

This year, I am hoping to attend something, but just can't decide what it will be. ISTE is too big for me; I attended the San Antonio conference 2 years ago.The sea of humanity overwhelmed me. I am interested in some offerings through Pearson on literacy and 21st century skills that are being offered in Maine and North Carolina, a 1:1 conference in Memphis in July ( Am I nuts?), a Gray Stager conference in New Hampshire, or a Brain Conference in Groton Massachusetts on the campus of a boarding school. Half of these qualify for title funds, the other half would come from my professional development money. Which one to attend?

That decision awaits another day. As for tonight, going to take a listen to Steve Hargadon's interview with Dan Pink about his new book, Drive. I just finished reading it this weekend, and like A Whole New Mind, it has me thinking. That's a good thing. I am interested to hear how he applies it to education. I think the idea of learning for intrinsic purposes or for the joy of the journey is something that escapes a lot of students these days, particularly as they get more and more pressured by parents. Hope more light is shed on it all for me tonight!

No comments: