Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year , same old plan?


Well, I have had an adventurous year to say the least, meeting lots of people and learning some much at a variety of conferences. I attended Larry Fletcher's speech about boys and writing in Wilmette, attended an ICE COLD conference in Lisle, ICE in St. Charles , 2 archdiocesan conferences, one featuring Alan November,NECC in San Antonio where I also met the head of ICE, Ginger, and the head of Chicago chapter of ICE, Hattie. I had an exciting and stimulating trip to BLC in Boston that rocked my world in many ways, including my epal class as well as meeting and seeing so many tech "rock stars." I have a treasured picture of my and my gal groupies with Alan on my desk at school. I also attended 2 classes in Wheeling at the NSLS center on gaming. Come fall, I was really fortunate to be invited to attend the Urban Education Institute at Carter Woodson Middle School that also made a great impression on me. Again, movers and shakers! The following weekend, I spent in a Classroom 2.0 regional meeting Steve Hargadon and others coordinated by Lucy Gray. Lots of learning.

Since ICE COLD, I have been following some blog and learning so much at times I thought my head would explode. I also started to Twitter, but I hang around the edges and pick up information more than contributing, which is probably not a good thing. Nevertheless, I have picked up tons and actually viewed photos of the fire in California from someone's window and the New Year as it is celebrated on the beaches of Thailand. How cool is that?

So, 2009 is the year for me to build up my confidence and really start to get seriously into it. I have prepared a couple of power points following the suggestions in Presentation Zen and noting the warnings in Death by Powerpoint slide share as well as YOU TUBE which I will try out on Monday. My first project of the year is going to be to try to think more visually and take to heart the idea that a picture makes a greater impression than a bunch of text. In addition, I will try to follow my own guidelines that presentation software is just an " accessory' to the real star of the show which should be your story or speech.
My photo for today? A great photo that appeared in the Chicago Sun-Times as the story of the sale of the Obama Senate seat broke. My favorite part? NOT DOCTORED AT ALL!!! What are the odds of such a perfect shot!

Will I blog every day? I doubt it, but I hope that I learn something everyday.

Today goal to me is to investigate istockphoto.com upon the recommendation of a friend. It is a fee that requires no royalties, but you need to purchase the art you want. There is some fabulous stuff out there. I also have looked into Spell by Flickr...so clever as well as the creative commons section of flickr.

I think I am off to a good start. I have blogged 50% of the days of this year. How small will THAT percentage get?

No comments: