Monday, January 19, 2009

Thoughts While Driving











While I am very excited about the prospects of new leadership in our country, I was struck this week with the impossible task this same leadership has in front of them. Driving out to meet some friends for dinner on a Thursday night, I took a quick route through a residential neighborhood,noticing a number of for sale signs.
As a drove past a number of new developments on commercial streets, I noticed empty storefronts, still with bare concrete walls because there are no tenants to customize them for. As I passed a strip mall shopping area on a busy street, I noticed that on either side of me were closed business with lights out...one,a Circuit City and the other a Bennigan's Restaurant. At the mall, every store had prices slashed to 70% off. Might seem a great bargain to some, but we need to read between the lines.

Working with technology, I guess I have become more and more visual. The images along my drive really struck a chord with me. The effects of some very bad decisions, on the part of consumers, banks , and our federal government are coming home to roost. The darkness of those storefronts made me think about the workers. These people are not making tons of money to begin with. Where does one even go too find a job if they are unemployed now? School will stay open, so in that regard I am lucky, but what will happen to our families? How will this affect the kids?
Even the restaurant we visited was only about 1/3 filled. The wait staff were working hard, but their income is certainly not the same as it was on a Thursday night in more prosperous times.
So, as I look forward to the new administration, I keep prayers for them in my heart.Their task is daunting; there is no clear cut solution.There is no pie in the sky that will change things tomorrow.The road will be long, hard, and difficult.People will be looking for someone to blame for what is happening and will be hoping for a quick solution.Patience will take on a whole new meaning.

No comments: